Friday, July 20, 2007

No Show Again

God I'm so tired. I can't sleep but I want too so badly, I'm just happy that I don't have to go into work tonight.

Sara wasn't at work last night, she had called in sick again. Or should I say Ken called in sick again for her. The second we all went to our departments Billy was over in my space totally freaking out. "I wasn't able to get hold of her all day," he told me. "You don't think that some thing happened, do you?"

He went on and on for about ten minutes until I finally snapped at him. "Billy I don't fucking know!"

He stopped, stepped back a foot or two and glared at me. "Excuse me for thinking that you actually cared if something bad happened to her! I thought you were her friend? That's what she keeps telling me!"

"I am her friend," I told him. "But I still don't know what happened to her and you freaking out like this isn't going to change the fact that until she contacts one of us, we aren't going to know what's going on with her!"

Billy didn't say another word to me after that.

Work seemed to drag by and nothing I could think of made me stop worrying about Sara.

But it seemed that I wouldn't be left to worry for too much longer. When I turned down my street, I noticed her car was parked outside my house but I saw that she wasn't in it when I got up to it. Pulling into the driveway, I barely managed to put the car in park and shut it off before I leapt out of the car and ran towards the house.

"Mom? Dad?" I called as I opened the door, I knew my parents were up, they were always up with the sun. My mother came into the kitchen with this look on her face that I never seen before. "Mom what's wrong? Where's Sara?"

Mom looked so upset, "She's upstairs Tanner, I made her go lie down." I started towards the stairs but mom stopped me. "Don't wake her dear, she probably won't be all that coherent, I gave her some Tylenol."

"Tylenol?" I stared at my mom, whenever she said 'Tylenol' she meant 3s, which my dad had prescribed when he had minor surgery a couple months ago. "Why did she need those mom?"

"She was in pain Tanner," my mom said quietly. "I asked her what happened but she was too upset to answer me, she just kept asking when you would be coming home."

"Mom," I grabbed her shoulders, I could feel my heart racing. "What happened to Sara?"

"She looked terrible Tanner," tears slid down my mom's cheeks. "I wanted to take her to the hospital but she refused to go, she wanted to see you."

"Mom..?"

"Some one hurt her Tanner," was all I heard my mom say before I took off upstairs as fast as I could go.

I've been sitting on the floor by my bed, listening to her breathe since I came home. My room was dark because of the blackout curtains I put up so that I could sleep during the day, so I really couldn't see what the bastard did to her but from the sound of her breathing at times, she was hurting really bad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Why did Ken hit her? It was leading up to something like this but I never would of thought abuse. Tanner make her see the light and help her in her time of need. She needs to stay away from Ken.

Carmel Beauty said...

I hope she allows you to help the first step is to ask and I don't think she would be there if she wasn't ready for that. I knew it was something bad I even suspected he hit her but from the reaction of your mom and the way she is breathing it must be worse than a slap or two. I hope you can show her some support because she came to you so obvisously she trusts you and she really needs a friend right now.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god. How terrible! And to SARA? Most of these characters have flaws, but she's definitely the sweetest out of the lot.

:-(

Good story twist....very sad for the character.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great writing! I feel so sad for Sara. Tanner be smart here, help her don't make the situation worse by going after Ken!

Nicole