Monday, July 23, 2007

I Don't Understand!

I had to hold her, I don't know why but I had too. The second mom pulled into the driveway I jumped up from my spot on the couch and I ran out the door, I was at her door before she even reached for the handle to open it.

"Tanner?" She gave a little chuckle as she looked up at me.

"Hey," I held out my hand to help her out of the car. "How did it go?"

"I'm ok," she told me simply as she stood in front of me.

"Ok?" I glanced at my mom, she didn't look too happy. "Let's get you inside," I slipped my arm around her waist and held her against my side, giving her support but she didn't seem to want it; she told me she could walk. "You don't have any shoes on," I told her softly and bent to lift her into my arms.

"Tanner!" Sara squealed. "Put me down this second!"

"Nah," I smiled at her. "I kind of like you here."

"Tanner," she sighed but didn't say another word as she relaxed in my arms.

I carried Sara into the house, through the kitchen to the living room where I had arranged the cushions earlier so that she could sit comfortably with us instead of upstairs in my room. As I stood in front of the couch, I was really reluctant to put her down and I think she noticed this because she tensed a little and asked me to put her down.

Once she was settled on the couch, my mom called me into the kitchen. I didn't even have time to ask what was up when mom told me that Sara told the nurse that she had an accident. "What??" I stared at her in disbelief. "Surely they saw right through that!"

Mom nodded, "They did call the police but with Sara unwilling to admit that she was abused, there really wasn't much they could do."

"How is that possible?" I flopped into the chair across from mom. "There are fingerprints on her fucking body! How could she possibly explain that away??"

Mom lowered her head but didn't say anything.

"I can't believe this!" I snapped. "I'm going to talk to her, she can't let him get away with this!"

"Tanner!" Mom jumped up and grabbed my arm. "Don't go in there and start demanding answers, she needs you to be here for her not judge her for what happened."

I told mom that I wouldn't do anything to upset Sara but I didn't know if I could keep my cool, I didn't understand how she could protect the bastard. "Sara?" I stared at the empty couch. "Sara?" I called out for her.

"I'm in here," I barely heard her whispered call. "In the bathroom."

"Oh, I..." I stood in the doorway and watched her as she stared out the window. "What are you doing?"

"I saw his truck," she told me but she didn't take her eyes from the view outside. "I can't believe he's with her!"

"Who?" I came up behind her and froze as I saw Ken standing in Claire's backyard. "You've got to be fucking kidding me!"

"She called him," Sara said softly. "I should've known that she would," she looked up at me. "She doesn't like that he never gives her the time of day but..." she trailed off when Ken lifted his hand up to Claire's face, said something and then slipped his hand around the back of her neck; Claire flinched in pain. "No," Sara shook her head while turning from the window. "I have to go," she told me.

"No, you don't." I told her. "You can't go out there, he'll know where you are."

Sara laughed, "You think he doesn't already know? She called him and told him where I am, it's only a matter of time before he realizes that my car is just through the bushes Tanner. I have to go."

"You can't," I told her.

"I have too," she pleaded with me. "Please understand Tanner, if I don't go, he'll hurt Claire and I can't have that on my conscious."

As I followed her to the door, I tried to tell her that Claire could take care of herself but she wouldn't listen to reason. "Sara please!" I slipped in between her and the door before she could open it. "I'm scared for you, I don't want anything to happen to you."

"I'll be ok Tanner," she tried to smile but winched when the cut on her lip split a little from the motion. "Don't worry about me."

"How can I not worry?" I asked her. "He beat the crap out of you and you are going to walk out there and what? Go home with him like nothing happened? And then when he gets mad again what do you think will happen? You think he won't hit you again?" Sara turned her head away from me. "Sara!" I wanted to pick her up and take her upstairs, away from Ken; I wanted to keep her safe.

"Tanner," she gazed up into my eyes. "I know you are worried but trust me, I'll be fine."

"I'm sure there are many women out there who have said the same thing and ended up dead. Sara I -"

Sara grabbed hold of my face and pulled me to her. "I'll be fine," she whispered against my lips. "I'm not giving up."

"Sara I just..." I felt the tip of her tongue slide against my bottom lip as she wet hers. "I..." She pressed her lips against mine.

"I have to go Tanner," she whispered. "Please try and understand."

She walked past me, shoved the door opened and called out to the bastard. "Ken!" And she actually sounded happy to see him.

I couldn't stay inside, I followed her out. When she called out to him, he dropped his hand from Claire's neck and turned towards her voice, a big smile on his face as he made his way over to her.

"Ken," Sara reached for him. "I can't believe you are here!" I felt physically sick as I watched her wrap her arms around him and gaze adoringly up at him. "Did you come for me?" I don't know how she did it but she sounded really hopeful when she asked that, like she was waiting for him to come.

"Of course I did baby," the bastard smiled down at her. "I'm so sorry," he said, lifting his hand to her lips. "I didn't mean to hurt you, I was just so..." he trailed off as he noticed me standing there. "Thanks for taking care of my girl for me," he smirked. "Let's go home Sara."

"Yes, let's."

I watched Sara walk hand in hand with the bastard as he lead her to his truck and helped her in. "I'll be back for her car," he called out to me and jumped into his truck along side her.

As they drove out of sight, Claire came up to me. "I hope you are happy," I snapped at her. "You just sent Sara off with the devil."

Claire looked pale under her perfect tan. "I didn't know Tanner."

"And you didn't mind your own business either!" I wanted to shake her. "I'll never forgive you if he hurts her again Claire."

I haven't heard from Sara since she left with Ken and I wasn't home when Ken came by to pick up her car.

She has a doctor's note for work so she won't be in all week.

8 comments:

Tanner said...

This blog is as real or as fake as you feel it is. Events may not be happening at this moment to me but they are happening to someone somewhere as you read this comment.

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right. Just reading this scares me. I mean, not your writing but that it's a reality for many people out there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are so right. I find your writing great and i feel the emotion you are writing about. I do know someone that grew up in an abusive home and at one point i called the police for her mother (because she was just beat) but like Sara she wouldn't say anything that would matter to the police. It is very scary that people will "protect" someone who is hurting them like this.

Chris

Carmel Beauty said...

CLAIRE IS ONLY PART OF THE PROBLEM SARA NEEDS TO FEEL COMFORTABLE LEAVING HIM UNTIL THAT HAPPENS THE ONLY THING ANYONE CAN DO IS BE HER FRIEND. IT'S SAD TO SAY BECAUSE THIS HAPPENS EVERYDAY TO WOMEN ALL AROUND THE WORLD WHO FEEL THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT

Lynn said...

This is very hard to read. So many emotions. This is very well wrote. When you know someone who is being abused it is hard because at first you want to help them, but then you realize mentally you can't help them, until they are ready. Most people give up because it is so hard to get someone out just to have them go back, it is just too hard emotionally. Sadly, domestic violence usually escalates. I hope Sara is strong enough to get away from Ken.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. Really forms a lump in your throat....

Anonymous said...

Boy, this blog got very intense very quickly. Great job!

Vikki said...

Oh my GAH!!! GREAT post!

I bet he found out she was with Tanner watching movies. What a tool! I really hope Sara sees the light. Once an abuser, always an abuser. but Caramel is right. Only she can get herself out of the sitch.

Can't wait to read the next post!!