Thursday, June 28, 2007

Work Related

I think they are trying to kill me at work! Last night instead of working with Sara like I normally do, they sent me to pets. I figured no biggie, I've been doing this for a week, I can handle stocking without Sara looking over my shoulder.

Oh fuck was I wrong!

There had to be about ten skids piled at least six feet tall. And the stupid gun? Absolutely no help at all! So I'm surrounded by stock that's got to go out and I didn't know where to start! I needed some help but who the hell could I ask? The management was under the impression that I could handle it, I didn't want to tell them I couldn't. And Sara? She trained me so I couldn't ask her because it would be like saying she did a crap job.

And that wouldn't make her happy. I don't want to deal with a bitchy Sara....again.

So I started on the first skid, I was pulling boxes around in a cart as I tried to figure out where the hell everything went. I swear it took me an hour just to finish that cart load!

By the time they called first break, I was panicking, I had only put out about 20 boxes out of the ten million that were there! I thought for sure they would give me my walking papers last night!

So I'm sitting in the staff room, trying to figure out what I'm going to do when Sara looks up from her puzzle. "How's it going?" She asks me.

"Oh great," I lied. "It couldn't be better."

Her eyes narrowed, "Really?"

I nodded, a fake smile plastered on my face. "How are things going for you?"

"I love two truck nights," she said as she rolled her eyes.

Break ended and I reluctantly went back to pets. About 20 minutes later I looked up from my kneeling position on the floor to see Sara standing at the end of the aisle with a pallet jack. "What are you doing?" I asked her.

"Come here," she motioned for me to follow her and disappeared around the corner with the jack.

When I reached her as she slipped the jack under one of the skids of bagged dog food, I asked what she wanted. "You know in Infants when we stage the skids?" I nodded so she continued. "Well in pets, if you pull the bulk dog food into the aisle, it helps cut down on the time it takes to do the skids." She leaned in and whispered, "I'd start with the bulk skids first and condense the over stock, you'll feel like you've done so much in a short period of time."

I went to thank her but she was already on her way to the back to do her cardboard from her first of three departments for last night.

I did what she suggested and guess what? In no time at all, I emptied a few skids.

I'm starting to think Sara is super smart.

I told her that when we were sitting in the staffroom on lunch break and she laughed. "I don't like to waste time Tanner, I want to get through as much as I can in the shortest time so I've figured out how to save time." She dipped a piece of her baked potato in some melted cheese and smiled at me. "It's all about working smarter, not harder."

With a little luck, some great advice from the 'master' and a little stocking help from her as well near the end of the night, I managed to finish all two billion pieces that came in for pets.

I'm so tired right now. Off to bed for me!

And guess what? The 'master' finally told me to my face that I did an awesome job!

I think I'm finally growing on her!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow first commenter.......that's a first for me. sounds like she is starting to like you. With any luck and a little charm maybe you'll go far. Great post....keep up the good work.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Maybe Tanner will start thinking with the other head from now on. Sex is great......but respect and love from others is wonderful.

bdave00

Anonymous said...

men's blogs are so fun to read...

Vikki said...

I agree with Anon 1:18. Great blog.