Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Boring Work

So I started a new job last night, stocking shelves. I didn't really want this job but since my parents made it impossible for me to live with them and not help them at the store during the days - for free room, food and board - I had no choice but to look for a job in the evenings. All the jobs that were in the paper for the evening sucked balls - big time! Either the hours really blew or I could make more working the corner than working in some of those places; of course the corner working would pay more if I was female but you get the idea!

Reluctantly I applied at the local supercenter for overnight stocking - it was either that or maintenance and I can't see myself scrubbing floors or bathrooms all night long, night after night. I think that would be a shitty job! God, I kill me sometimes!

Like I said, last night was my first night on the job and I'm not so sure I'm going to stick around there too long, at least not if they have me paired up with the chick that they stuck me with last night! I don't like to be mean but this girl was just a plain bitch. I first ran into her when she was walking towards the store, I wasn't sure how to get in, they didn't really tell me that part when they told me to go in last night. I asked her how we got in, she kept walking and muttered something like, 'you have to pull them apart' as she went to the doors and yanked them part.

But that's all she said to me! No 'hello' or nothing. She walks on and I'm like, ok now where do I go. She seems to know where she's going so I follow her. She goes down this aisle and that aisle, every who walks bye smiles and says hello to her and she is all nice to them! I couldn't believe it. So we get back to the staffroom and there aren't that many younger people - or guys! I wasn't sure what I got myself in to.

I was standing back in the staffroom, waiting for someone to speak to me, to ask me something or seem friendly enough so that I could take to them but no one seemed to notice me! Finally the chick that I followed in left the room and a few more followed, so I went with them. I got stuck behind the bitchy chick again, this time I wasn't looking around so much, I was staring at her. I watched her hips move as she walked. She wasn't a small chick by no means but she wasn't really fat either. I guess she was pretty average, plain but for some reason, I couldn't take my eyes off her ass.

We are passing people on their way in, they all greet her by name and she sounds happy to see them, but if you asked me, I wouldn't have been able to tell you her name, I was still watching her ass as she walked. We got to the front and I snapped out of my daze. She sat on the counter by on of the registers and I stood off to the side by another one.

At the meeting, the manager told everyone I was new and they all glanced over, but no one seemed that excited by my presence. When the manager started to assign jobs, she paired me up with the chick and you should've seen the look on her face, she didn't look too happy.

The meeting broke up, the chick - who's name is Sara - went to the manager and asked something about getting me set up on a gun. "It helps you find where everything goes," she told me, without looking at me once.

Finally she tells me to come on, we stopped to grab a couple carts and we went to our assigned area. Apparently the first of four areas that we had to do that night, areas that Sara normally does on her own most nights. We started out in Stationary - she explained everything I needed to know about the 'gun' we had to use, she explained everything I needed to know on the shipping labels and everything I need to know about the labels on the shelves. I thought it would be really easy to stock shelves but the way she spoke about it, it wasn't as easy as it looked.

Once she was done explaining everything to me, she told me we needed a bag and showed me where the ladies in Foods 'hide' them. Then she stopped to explain the productivity sheet, "We have to justify every minute we spend working," she said bitterly. I wanted to ask but she asked me if I understood and then set me loose on a shopping cart fill of boxes that had no labels on them, I had to scan every one of them to find out if they even went in the area we were in.

While I tackled the shopping cart, she started on the skid of boxes on the floor, there had to be about 20 boxes on that skid, she was done that way before I was even halfway through the cart. She came over to see how I was doing, I mentioned something about her having the skid done and she said with a shrug, "I've been doing this for a while, I know where everything goes."

Sara helped me with the cart of stuff then we went to get rid of our cardboard before heading to furniture, electronics and finally infants.

In furniture she said she didn't know what she was doing there, she hadn't been doing that area long, but still she knew were everything went and I felt like I was slowing her down. The only time she even spoke to me really in that area was to ask me if I could help her with a table set - I stood there and watched her for a while as she tried to do it on her own. I was actually surprised that she tried, most girls I know would've asked me to do it without even trying. When I went over to help her, I made a comment about that and she got all defensive. "Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean that I can't do it!"

"I know," I backed off, "I was just saying."

She didn't say much as we headed into electronics.

I guess I should say that by this time, they called first break. !5 minutes of sitting in the lunchroom listening to the old ladies on one side bitching about everyone and everything; and watching a couple guys playing crib on the other side. One of the guys playing crib, Sara kept watching and joking around with. For some stupid reason this made me a little mad. I couldn't understand why she didn't want to talk to me but she was all nice and friendly to everyone else.

We went back to work, finished electronics in no time and then headed off to infants, where 6 skids waited for us. I asked her what happens if we didn't get it all finished and she just gave me this look. "I can do six skids on my own," she told me and proceeded to explain how she goes through all the skids, takes off what she needs and then starts stocking the shelves. "But you can start on the carts first," she told me as she pulled the first skid around the corner.

Can I just say, I HATE the shopping cart stuff. I want to work on the skids, why couldn't she do the shopping carts??

Lunch came just as she was done sorting through the skids. 30 minutes of the same thing as first break - except this time I was determined to get her to talk to me instead of the crib guy.

"So Sara how long did you say you've been doing this?"

"Two years," she replied but added nothing else as she bites into the apple she holds in her left hand while she does a crossword puzzle.

"Why do you do it?"

She shrugs, "I hate people."

What?? How the hell could anyone hate people, she talks to everyone that works with her and she hates people? "What do you mean?"

She sighs, finally looks up from her puzzle. "I spent way too much time in customer service, I got tired of listening to people bitch and complain all day long. I wanted a break before I went insane so I applied here and I've been here ever since." She paused, "What about you?"

I almost had a freaking heart attack! I couldn't believe she said that much to me when it wasn't work related and then she asked about me. "I lost everything I owned, moved back with my parents. I work in their store during the day and I needed something else to help pay my bills."

She sat there, thinking about what I said and I thought she was going to ask something else but all she said was 'oh' and turned back to her puzzle.

We went back to infants after lunch and finished that my last break. I didn't bother to talk to her on break, I just sat there pretending to read some old magazine that was sitting on the table.

After break we went around and helped some other people and then we started clean up and before I knew it, it was time to go home.

As I was walking out, the crib guy that Sara kept talking too came up to me. "She may seem a little hard to get to know but she's really a nice person. Give it some time, you'll see."

I don't know if I really care. I tried. I just hope I don't get stuck with her again tonight.

In other more exciting news, Claire is out sunbathing as I sit here. I believe I'm going to go watch her for a while, jerk off and get some sleep.

2 comments:

bdave00 said...

I have had to work some jobs just for the money. Sometimes, we have to do things we don't like.

Keep up the good work.

ctiger said...

The old saying goes, "when life throws you lemons...make lemonade." It is tough to move back home after being out on your own for so long but it gets better. Keep up the good work. Post long and often....