Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Taking Every Chance I Get

"Hey Tanner." I looked up from the skid of bulk food to see Sara standing nervously at the end of the aisle. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" She ran a hand through her hair, parting her bangs, some strands sticking off in funny places. I straightened up, she looked so cute. I wanted to take her in my arms and...

She shifted from foot to foot, she attempted a smile but it was really shaky. She gestured self consciously with her hands. "I.." she walked towards me, raising her hands up to my chest when she stopped in front of me. She gazed up at me, "Maybe I'm being silly but I just wanted to know -"

I pulled her into my arms and backed her up against the skid I was working on. "You are so hot right now."

"Tanner," Sara blushed. "We can't do this here," she looked around shyly.

I let out a huge dramatic sigh but smiled at her. "I know that but can we do this sometime?" I nuzzled her neck, "It doesn't even have to be the full course, just a little taste. That's all I ask, a little nibble, suck, lick - anything!"

"You promised me we would take it slow," she whispered softly against my shoulder.

"There's a difference in going slow and never leaving the starting line Sara."

She lowered her head as she moved her hands from me to nervously play twist them together between us. "I know," she glanced up at me. "I haven't been the greatest girl...I mean, it's not like I don't want too..." Sara quickly turned her head to the side as we heard customers approach. "Maybe we can talk about this after work?"

I released her and turned back to my skid, "Sure whatever."

By the time the shift was over, I just wanted to get out of there. I was waiting in the staff room for five minutes but Sara didn't show up. Just when I was about to go look for her, Billy came in to grab his jacket and bag. "Hey man," I started to ask him if he saw Sara but he ignored me. He just pulled on his jacket and walked out. "Thanks for the help!" I called after him.

He responded, he flipped me off and kept going. Fucker!

I waited a couple more minutes, getting more and more pissed off with each passing second. Soon I had enough, I grabbed my bag and stormed out of the staffroom and onto the floor. I had just passed the main aisle into Infants when I heard Sara call out my name. I debated pretending I didn't hear her but I turned instead.

She jogged towards me, her hand on her chest as she held her name badge down. She was smiling. "Hey," she said cheerfully when she stopped in front of me. "I just have to clock out and grab my stuff," she told me as she briefly touched my forearm. "Do you mind waiting a minute longer?"

I stared at her, actually I was glaring at her, and I did so until she started to lose the cheeriness in her expression. "Hurry up."

"Ok," she said hesitantly as she scooted by me to head to the back.

Once Sara was gone, I noticed someone watching me curiously. Dressed in black pants, white shirt and the telltale blue smock, her name badge proudly stated her name and position - Anna, Department Manager. She was very pretty, her dark curly hair loose around her face along with those big brown eyes made her seem almost angelic but the look in her eyes and the smile on her face led me to believe she wasn't as innocent as she seemed.

"You must be Tanner," she said as she made her way over to me. Leaning back against the cheap stroller bin, she crossed her arms over her chest and tilted her head slightly to the left as she smiled up at me. "I've heard a lot about you."

Hiking my bag's strap up on my shoulder further, I crossed my arms and stared down at her. "And what have you heard about me...?" I glanced down, supposedly to check out the name but I was really just checking out her rack - she has a nice rack. "...Anna."

She chuckled, "Well I hear that you are doing a great job in pets and you are thought off as some kind of knight in shining armor."

"I don't think my armor is all that shiny," I laughed.

"Maybe not," she dropped her arms. "But Sara seems to think you are pretty special." She pushed off the bin, "It was nice to meet you," she said as Sara's hand touched my arm. We both looked at Sara, she wasn't smiling anymore. "Have a good day," Anna said as she walked away.

I turned to Sara, she motioned forward. I knew something was on her mind as we walked towards the front of the store. It wasn't until we were out of earshot of Infants that she asked me if I thought Anna was pretty.

"Yes," I told her honestly. "She's very pretty."

"Oh." I peeked at her, she was frowning. "Did you..." she glanced up at me but turned back again quickly. Clearing her throat, she asked if I checked Anna out.

Again, I answered honestly. "Yes, I did."

"Oh," she took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I see."

We continued on in silence, it wasn't until we exited the store that she spoke again. "I guess I'll see you tonight," she threw over her shoulder as she hurried to her car.

I continued to my car like nothing had happened, I started it and let it warm up a little, even scraped the frost from the windows. All the time I was watching Sara out of the corner of my eye as she did the same thing I did. When she got into her car to drive away, I got into mine. Normally Sara waits for me to pull out first, even if she wasn't going to my place with me, so I knew that I wouldn't have to worry about her hitting me when I pulled out of my parking spot and stopped right in front of her car, blocking her between me and the car parked behind her. I got out of my car and waited.

"What the hell are you doing?" She asked as she hopped out. "Would you just get out of my way so I can go home?"

I pretended to think about it, even made the 'this is a hard decision' face but in the end I just shook my head.

"Tanner," she came closer. "Please don't do this here," she glanced around quickly before turning her gaze back to me. "I understand," she told me. "We don't have to do this."

"I think we do," I told her calmly. "It seems to be the only way to really get your attention." I took a step towards her and for the first time ever, she didn't take a tentative step backwards, she stood her ground and that made me smile. "What do you think? That just because I think she's pretty, I'm going to drop you like you don't matter to me Sara?"

She lowered her head which spoke volumes, that was exactly what she thought. "I'm not that pretty," she stated. "I couldn't compete with her or anything else for that matter." She looked up at me, "I saw the way you were looking at her Tanner, don't tell me you didn't think about..."

"About what Sara?"

"Nothing," Sara turned away.

"Don't turn away from me. Tell me what you think I was going to do," I smiled and moved forward. "Some thing like this?" I asked as I twirled her around and planted a big kiss on her surprised lips.

At first she tried to push me away and just when I thought I should let her go, she whimpered and melted against me.

"Come home with me Sara," I pleaded when we broke apart panting for air.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god! I think its so awesome the way you brought the two blogs together. I was so surprised! I like that though, it makes things so interesting... I hope we see more of it!

I haven't commented before, but I've been a big fan since the spring :)
Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm such an idiot! I didn't even put 2 and 2 together until you mentioned it!

Holy cow that DOES make it even more interesting! I wonder if we'll hear about Tanner in Anna's blog?!

MonkeySpeak said...

HAHA I like the cameo.

Sarah needs to get her act together...

Hadley said...

I did wonder about Anna and Tanner seeming to work at the same kind of place!

It was cool to see Anna through someone else's eyes!

Sara's a mess--that jealous episode is not a good thing. It is unreasonable to think that Tanner isn't going to so much as look at another woman.

Anonymous said...

WHOAAAA Trippy! lol to see anna in tanner's blog! cool and i like it and like kim i hope to see more of it too!
hopefully sara will lighten up a little..
or maybe anna and tanner should get together;) mmmhmmm

Anonymous said...

I was wondering on the last blog if Tanner worked at Walmart as well - he talked about the store being open 24 hours for Christmas, Walmart is the only store I know of that does that.

Cool the way you brought them together though. Is there going to be some conflict I wonder.

Carmel Beauty said...

aWWW!! i DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE THAT WAS ANNA

Anonymous said...

Wow..I didn't realize either until anon 11:39 said it.

Interesting...hehehehe

Anonymous said...

I think that it's going to be a touch confusing to keep having Anna and Tanner in the same blog since Anna's blog is set about 6 months behind Tanners. Therefore anything that Tanner says about Anna has happend 6 months after whatever Anna's last post was, it's not going to give much room for freedom.

Anonymous said...

I think bringing Anna into this blog was really really neat. I loved it and I hope we see more of a merging with the two blogs!!

Anonymous said...

ahhh i didnt even realize it was anna, and now that i do i love this entry even more. ugghh im so over tanner and sarah, i hope tanner gets with anna.

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela, I'm a little confused. Anna's last couple of posts are set around Canada Day which I believe is in the summer right? Tanner just met Anna and it's Christmas time on his blog. So the timelines are way off. I can't figure out where Anna is at this point. It's just confusing. If it were the same time of year on both blogs it would make sense, but I don't see where this is going.

kmorales4 said...

I finally caught up to the story. That was a really good post. Now I'm gonna have to start reading that Anna blog to understand what everyone else is talking about.

Anna said...

Hey guys, try not to get too hung up on the fact that Anna made an appearance in this blog. I had hoped that I would've been up to December in View by it's anniversary but that didn't happen. Tanner and Anna do not get together.

Angela

Mehreen said...

Cute to see Anna, for some reason, I never imagined her as a brunette with curly hair! (but I guess she's a reflection of the author) Sara is really irritating, as is Billy. They're so hot & cold, what's with the attitude?!

Anonymous said...

Um Hello Mehreen, if you have been following this story, Sarah was in a relationship with someone who beat the crap out of her for 3 years, she's scared, insecure and not too trusting right now. I think she knows deep down that Tanner would never hurt her like that, but she's still scared to give her heart to him, afterall, she did see him screw someone in the bathroom of that club, and she saw how he looked at Anna. After all that Ken put her through I can't blame her for wanting to take things slow. So maybe that explains the cold/hot attitude she keeps giving Tanner, she wants to be with him, but another part pulls back to protect herself. If anyone has ever been in an abusive relationship they know how difficult it is to trust someone again.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!