Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Overheard

Sara didn't leave me hanging all that long, it just seemed like forever. "Becca told me that she ran into you and she was having serious doubts that you were half the man I think you are."

"I am the -"

"Tanner," Sara cut me off. "Becca told me that you were taking shots from some cheap whore's chest - is that true?"

"Yeah but -"

"She also told me that you were dancing with her, very close - is that true?"

"What she didn't -"

"All I need is a 'yes' or 'no' Tanner. Were you pressed up against her on the dance floor?"

"I wasn't the one pressed against anyone," I replied defensively.

"Oh? Becca was wrong?"

I wanted to say yes, she was wrong but I couldn't. "Maggie was the one pressed -"

"Maggie?" Sara repeated. "Let me guess, she's blonde with a huge rack."

"Well, yeah but -"

"Doesn't matter," Sara cut me off once again and it was starting to piss me off. "Becca also said that you were taking her back to the hotel with you when she came up to tell you what a scumbag - her words - she thought you were."

It wasn't a question and I thought about not saying anything but I'm not a complete moron. "I wasn't -"

"Yes or no Tanner."

"For fuck sakes Sara, stop cutting me off! Let me tell you what happened. Becca doesn't know every fucking thing that went on, she wasn't fucking there!"

"Don't swear at me," she snapped. "I'm just trying to understand what is going on. I thought we..." She sighed. "I don't know," she admitted. "I guess I waited too long."

Closing my eyes, I groaned, "Sara."

"I didn't want to believe her Tanner. I told her you wouldn't do that, not now, not after..."

Rubbing my hand over my face, I shook my head. "I didn't do anything Sara, I swear."

"But Becca said -" I cut her off, telling her that if she wanted to know exactly what happened, I would tell her. She hesitated for the longest time before quietly telling me that she needed to know what happened.

Starting from the beginning again, I told her how Travis showed and wanted to go out. "He thinks I'm whipped," I told her. "He saw your picture and read what you wrote."

"Oh no!" Sara squeaked. "Tanner that wasn't for everyone to see!"

"He just showed up, I didn't have time to close the window before he blew past me and saw it." Then, with a chuckle, I told her that if it's any consolation, he thought she was hot.

By the noise she made, I could tell she was blushing.

"You are, you know."

She quietly said 'thanks' before asking me to continue.

After I filled her in on all the events of the night - good, bad and indifferent - thanked me for being honest with her. "You could've told me that Becca was lying but you didn't, you told me everything. Thank you Tanner."

Following her 'thank you' there was silence; it stretched on for a few minutes. I don't know what she was thinking but I was wondering if what I told her made a difference or if the damage had already been done. I wanted to ask her but somehow I couldn't - I had a sinking feeling that if I did, she would tell me she didn't think we would work out or something.

For some reason, that idea didn't sit well with me.

"I guess I should let you go," Sara said, breaking the silence. "You are probably pretty tired and -" She yawned. "I know I am."

"Yeah..." I didn't want to go, not with everything up in the air.

"Ok."

"Ok," I repeated.

More silence.

"Ok," she gave a little yawn again. "I'll talk to you later?"

It wasn't much but the questioning tone gave me some hope, even if it was just a tiny bit. "Yes, we'll talk later."

After we hung up, I remained in the bathroom, seated on the edge of the counter. It would've been so easy to walk away from my 'relationship' with Sara and I'm sure anyone I talk to about it would tell me it was time to write it off but something told me that it would be the biggest mistake of my life.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I've made enough mistakes in my 29 years. I'm ready for the 'right' thing.

****

I woke up the next morning, wishing I was dead. My whole body ached and my head felt like it was about to explode. I started to curse my brother for insisting on the multiple shots when I realized that the noises in my head, wasn't just noises, my brother and Anna were talking.

"Why don't you sit down?" I rolled my head to the side and, through barely opened lids, I spotted Anna sitting at the table over by the window, with a notebook opened on the table in front of her. "How are you feeling? Headache?"

Travis grunted as he slumped in the chair across from her.

"Stomach feeling nauseous?"

Travis grunted again.

Anna sat up straighter and stared at him. With a eyebrow raised, she asked him, "Memory hazzy? Anything you wish to apologize for?"

"'Polgize?" Travis slurred.

"Yes, apologize," Anna insisted. "You scared me out of a very nice dream about my boyfriend and you grabbed my ass!!"

Instead of looking sorry, Travis seemed happy. "Hot ass," he mumbled. "You liked it."

Anna gasped. "You pig! How dare you assume that I liked, or wanted you to grab my ass?"

"It was sticking out," he informed her as he leaned across the table. "Such a hot ass, it was begging to be groped."

I almost cheered when she reached across the table and slapped his face.

"What the hell was that for?" Travis demanded.

"You know damn well!" She replied and told him that the only man she wanted grabbing her ass was her boyfriend. "And you," she gripped the wrist of the hand he held up to his face. "Your married, what the hell were you doing grabbing my ass? Your wife is going to kill you when she finds out."

Travis yanked his hand from hers and in his move to lean back in his chair, he told Anna that Shelly wouldn't care one bit who's ass he was grabbing.

"Yeah, right!" Anna scoffed. "Men always say that when they do something wrong but you know what? She'll care because she's your -"

"She left me!" He snapped at her. "She won't fucking care because the bitch packed her shit, took my boys and told me to go fuck myself four days ago!"

Despite the nasty headache, I sprung up in bed. "What?!?!"

14 comments:

Dido said...

Wow! I had a feeling that Travis was being a little brazen for being a married man! Thanks for the post, Angela!

Anonymous said...

What a surprise!! Thanks Angela.

Sandy

Carmel Beauty said...

You still know how to make a story interesting. :-)

Anonymous said...

good he deserved it
he took so much of his wife and what she put up with for granted

DDgirl said...

wooooah!!!

Unknown said...

Thank God! That bastard doesn't deserve to have a decent family.


haha I know that this is all fake but Angela, you did a DAMN GOOD job in making Travis an asshole from the very start! And I'm happy that he's alone and miserable!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting REALLY sick of Anna slapping people. Hitting is immature. No one would take that from a guy, why should anyone take it from a girl.
Anna's immaturity showing through again, it's obvious not even characters in a story can change.

mum said...

I was wondering if something like that was going on. Travis had looked before, but never touched. It wasn't that long ago that he and the wife were going at it and Tanner had to break it up. He seems pretty selfish to me. Great story!

mum

Unknown said...

How can you say that her slapping people is immature when it's deserved? If a guy was disrespecting me the way Travis was then I would do the same damn thing. And Josh deserved it too. The last time she slapped Josh was when he wouldn't let go of her and forced a kiss on her....again, he DESERVED the slap.

Before, yes, she was immature alot of times but she really has grown up. But keep in mind, she's also 23. Even though she's an adult, she's still a young adult. She's expected to be immature now and then.

KBear said...

i don't think slapping is immature when it's deserved. he's lucky that's all he got.

Anonymous said...

oh cmon, you could see that coming with the way he was acting. even though hes a douche he never cheated before.

Anonymous said...

just me - be careful. you actually aren't expected to be immature at 23. you do something immature and they let you know. Its an age where you need to STOP doing immature things because it can really cost a lot.

You can't really say "oh well, she's a young adult, its ok that she was a bit immature about it." people say "geez, thats your mentality? you need to grow up." its an unforgiving world so don't let age allow you think that immaturity is ok.

Vikki said...

I knew Trav and Shelly were having issues. He's an ass but he wouldn't cheat. I wonder what the straw that broke her back was... Can't say this is unexpected though.

Great post!!

Unknown said...

Anon 12:05....i wasn't saying that it's expected for people in their early 20s to constantly be immature. But just because you are in your early 20s doesn't mean you have to act like your 40. Also, people at EVERY age act immature from time to time, it's the way we are programmed. Life would be boring if we were always mature and never goofed off.

Back to my origional point...she wasn't acting immature when she slapped Travis. Most girls would do the same thing....SOME might even get their boyfriend and/or brother involved to take care of it for them. So what I mean is, yes, she is immature from time to time but there is nothing wrong with that AND this was not one of the times where she was supposedly "immature"