Saturday, September 8, 2007

Sara's Fear

Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant...

The word repeated in that eerie echo-y way in my head. I gasped or maybe I just think I did but I was really just laying next to her with my jaw scraping the quilt she just gave me. It was as if the world disappeared into the black abyss the moment that word left her lips. I broke out in a cold sweat! I couldn't fucking believe it! I was actually panicking! And the funny thing? I wasn't panicking because she just told me it was mine but because it wasn't mine! How fucked up was that? Panicking because I wasn't about to be a father? Fuck me! I needed help!

"It's ok," my voice sounded so far away, it was almost trippy. I started to tell her that it would be ok when she started to laugh.

"Tanner!" She grabbed hold of my arm and gazed up at me. "I'm not pregnant! I thought I was!"

"Oh," I blinked a couple times in rapid succession, thankful that she stopped me before I told her that I would help her raise the baby. "That's great," I couldn't believe the disappointment that spread over me. What the...? Disappointment? I should be fucking happy that she isn't carrying the bastards baby but... I didn't know what it was. OK, I did, I just didn't want to admit that I was excited for a brief moment under all that panicking.

"Is everything OK?" Sara chewed nervously on her bottom lip at she stared at me. When I told her that everything was fine she seemed to relax just a little.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked her, not really sure I wanted to know but I felt like I needed too.

"I didn't know how to tell you Tanner," she looked away. "I didn't want to be pregnant with Ken's baby. I didn't love him and I didn't want to be left with a reminder of all my past mistakes." She shrugged, a small motion that I almost missed. "I avoided taking a test because I didn't want to admit there was a possibility that I could be..."

"But you took the test? You are sure you aren't pregnant?"

She nodded, "Billy made me." She chuckled softly, turning to me again. "He bought me a test Saturday after work and told me if I didn't take it he would hound me until I did."

"You told Billy you thought you were pregnant?" The resentment started to boil inside me, it was stupid, I knew this but the fact that Billy knew when I didn't made me mad. "You didn't trust me enough to tell me?"

"Of course I did!" She exclaimed. "I didn't mean to tell Billy but he was asking so many questions when we went out on Friday, he said I was acting so strange lately and he wanted to know why. I blurted it out to shut him up!"

Sara went on to tell me that she wished she had the courage to tell me before she found out that she wasn't pregnant. "We were just starting to get to know each other," she stated. "I didn't want to burden you with it."

"It wouldn't have been a burden," I told her. "I could've been there for you Sara."

She shook her head, "No it wasn't your problem, it was mine. I didn't want to let you in only to have to push you away again."

"What?" I frowned, I didn't know how letting me know she thought she was pregnant would change the way things were between us. "If you were pregnant Sara, I would be there for you." She started to shake her head. "I would!"

"No Tanner," she pushed away from me and sat up, not looking at me. "If I was pregnant with Ken's baby you couldn't be around me."

"Sara what are you..." I pushed back the quilt and sat up, reaching out my hand to her. "Why couldn't I be around you? You wouldn't want me around?"

"Tanner..." she sighed sadly. "Of course I would want you around but Ken wouldn't." She glanced over her shoulder at me. "I would have to have the baby Tanner, you understand that, right?" I nodded, I never thought she wouldn't have the baby, if there was one. "I would have to tell him and he would demand to be in the baby's life, even if I didn't want him too."

"So?" I didn't understand what that had to do with me being there for her, so I asked her.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "He would make my life hell, and the baby's life too if there was another man in the picture." She took another breath and turned back to me. "I didn't want to let you in Tanner because I didn't want to have to give you up if I was pregnant."

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're back!!! with an amazing post!!!! woehoee! =)

Anonymous said...

i am so glad you posted. it will help tide me over until you get back.

thanks,
elizabeth

Vikki said...

I had no idea this was here!! Good post! I'm sooo glad she's not prego!!

Anonymous said...

I've been checking every day just in case you posted. So glad you did!!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

*happy dance*

Anonymous said...

LOL, I've been checking back constantly too, just in case there was a post!

Awesome, awesome, awesome! This one might be one of my favorites.

Revee said...

Thank goodness she's not pregnant. Now maybe Tanner can finally swoop in and get some Sara action.

Anonymous said...

I thought Tanner was kind of a jerk when this blog began, but now I love him! And I love the dynamic b/t him and Sara! I cannot wait until you're back to continue with the posts!!!

Anonymous said...

I kept checking too and saw this. How come dated 9/8? Oh well, glad I checked. Also, there is new entry too under "Once in this Life" she also writes!!

9/25....yippee can't wait...

Anonymous said...

I just started reading about a month and a half ago, but really missed the posts. SO glad you gave us a post...
Thanks, Sherry

Anonymous said...

I think this post is my new favorite. How sweet that he wanted it to be his baby! I can't wait til you come back, Angela!

Lynn said...

I'm glad she isn't pregnant too!

MonkeySpeak said...

Hmmm, to be honest, I am starting to see Sarah as very very weak. Her excuses are horrible. I understand her fears but does she really like Tanner that much if she would push him away just to make her life easier? I can understand havign to have the baby I guess - I am pro-choice, but I respect others moral views on the issue - but I don't know. She wouldnt HAVE to have Ken in her life. If I became pregs by a boyfriend that beat the shit out of me, well if I decided to keep the baby (not just the big A, there is also adoption) I would not want that bastard in my child's life.

The Middle Child said...

I was just checking here to see if anything was written and to my surprise something was. YAY!

Great post!

diana said...

you might see Sara as being weak, but after being in an abusive relationship for so long, you start to lose your self esteem, and feel hopeless about your situation. you risign to the way your life is as if you have no other choices. she was only able to leave ken with Tanner's support. if she had been pregnant, she assumed that it would of put her under ken's control again. she would of eventually broken out of it, the same way she did by leaving him in the first place

deanna

Anonymous said...

Can you please change it so that the new posts are displayed when you first open the site like your other blogs are?

Tanner said...

Anonymous I don't know what you mean, everytime I open this page using every link I have it always opens on the main page where the newest post is always first. If anyone else is having this problem please let me know.

Anonymous said...

The other two open to where the newest post comes up first, but this blog opens to the very first post. I'll check and see if it's my settings somewhere. Hmmm... It's really no biggie either way, I'm going to read it anyway. :o)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am officially a moron now. I am LMAO at myself. I had bookmarked the first post as my favorite, so it linked it to that page. I fixed it. Thanks for not stoning me and my apologies.

MonkeySpeak said...

But that is being weak - She needs to learn how to be able to stand up for herself. I have been in aabusive relationship too. What she needs is to seek help and not by running to another man in hopes that hell save her or show her the way out. I like Tanner a lot and I wan them to be together! BUT there doesnt seem to be much hope for the relationship if she is in her state and she cannot learn how to stand up for herself and be secure in herself. Im not saying that is easy and it does take years to be able to learn that you (you being a general you) are worth love and are a beautiful person and deserve all that is good, but that is weakness. insecurity is weakness. not taking the necessary steps to make yoruself better is weak and constantly running back to the abusive source is weak. just a personal opinion mind you :) OF COURSE this is fictional and we all want to seak out that knight in shining armor and Tanner seems to be her knight. BUT at the same time, how can he be her knight if she pushes him away. Also why I see her as being weak right now, gor going back to Ken just bc she is preg. OR THOUGHT she was. It is no excuse. She needs to take care of herself before tanner can. :)

MonkeySpeak said...

WOW horrible how many spelling and grammer errors in there ;) hahahaha

ctiger said...

Oh happy day!!!!!!!! LOL. I took the chance to see if maybe there was a new post and it made my day. Yesterday was my b-day and it kind of sucked so this made up for some of that........LOL. Does that sound pathetic? Oh well i love all your blogs and miss your writing terribly. Thank you so much for taking time out of your vacation to make our days.

Chris

Anonymous said...

wow the word "pregnant" appeared like 500 times in this post.........lol

MonkeySpeak said...

aahh lol the other two were updated, i cant wait for this one :) (well physically i cant, and literally i can, but i sure as peas am excited)