Monday, November 26, 2007

Up To Some Good

"If anyone asks, this call never took place."

"What?"

"You heard me Tanner, if anyone asks this call never happened, I value my life too much."

"Billy what the hell have you been drinking?"

"Nothing, I'm completely sober."

"You sound drunk. Why would anyone ask? And why did this conversation never take place?"


"Sara will ask, and she will kill me if you tell her I told you, she told me not too."

"Oh? What doesn't she want me to know?"

"That tomorrow night is her birthday, she doesn't want anyone to make a big deal out of it."

"WHAT? She doesn't want me to know it's her birthday?"

"Fuck Tanner, that's what I just said!"

"Why not? What's wrong with making a big deal out of her birthday?"

"Nothing."

"But...?"

"She has had nothing but crappy birthdays for the past couple years, Ken -"

"The Bastard! I told you I don't want to hear his name."

"Yes, the Bastard. He never did anything for her, he never even remembered."

"Fucker."

"Yeah, so she doesn't like to make a big deal out of her birthday now because of him."

"Screw that, she's with me now and I happen to like birthdays."

"That's what I thought, got to go Tanner, see you at work tomorrow."

It was Saturday afternoon when Billy called me and we had that conversation. I hung up wondering what the hell I was going to do for Sara, there was no way I was going to let her birthday pass without doing something. Sure we aren't officially together - this damn taking it slow was really killing me - but she deserved something.

I called her up.

"Did Billy just call you?" She asked the moment she picked up the phone.

"Umm, no," I laughed. "Why? Was he supposed too?"

"No, I told him...nevermind."

"Yes, I tell him that all the time too."

She laughed, "So what are you calling for Tanner?"

"Just calling to talk to you. I was wondering what you were doing tomorrow afternoon?"

"HA!" She exclaimed. "Billy did call you!"

"Sara really? Since when does Billy have to call for me to want to know if you are free to do something with me?"

"Well, I...umm..." she sighed. "Sorry, I just thought that he...well..."

"Sara you know I want to see you, and not just at work." In fact I've been trying to get her to come over or go somewhere with me after work and on our days off since the night at karaoke. Not that we haven't gone out together, we have, she just has been avoiding being completely alone with me. I like to think it's because she can't keep her hands off me!

"I know you do Tanner and I want to see you too but..."

"But what?"

"Well tomorrow isn't a good day, my mom has stuff she wants me to do with her."

"Anything I can tag along on?" I knew she would say no but I figured I'd ask anyway.

"She kind of wants to spend some time with just me Tanner." I couldn't really tell if she was disappointed or relieved, either way it didn't matter.

"Oh ok, I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to see you."

"I'm sorry," she said softly.

"It's ok," I told her. "I think you are worth the wait."

"Oh Tanner." I believe if I were along side her at that moment, she would've either blushed and turned away or hugged me tight.


Once I hung up from talking to Sara, I called Billy back.

"Is her birthday tomorrow? You said 'tomorrow night' when you called earlier."

"It's the 26th, so technically tomorrow night since we'll be working into the morning of the 26th."

"Ok good." I thought I would only have an hour with her on her birthday but it being on Monday really helped, it gave me more time to show her how her birthday should go. "Are you doing anything for her? Getting her something?"

"I always get her something," he told me. "She pretends to get all upset but secretly I know she loves the fact that I remember." He paused and then asked me what I was planning on getting her. "You know you don't have to get her anything, that's why she didn't want me to tell you, she didn't want you to think you had to do or get her anything."

"I have an idea," I told him. He tried to get more info out of me than that but I wouldn't give it up. "You'll have to wait and hear all about it later."

"Well if you need any help or suggestions..."

"I know how to get hold of you."

But I knew that I wouldn't need his help with what I had planned, I would just need the help of one person - my mom - and the cooperation of my manager to pull off the plan.

By Saturday night, I had everything I needed. I couldn't wait to go to work the next night.

12 comments:

Carmel Beauty said...

I wanna know I wanna know I wanna know. :-)

Along this path said...

Me too...

MH

Anonymous said...

me 3!

http://nicoledog.blogspot.com/ said...

Four!!!!

Nicole

Melissa Robinson said...

and 5!!! i love tanner. the little perv...

Anonymous said...

me toooo...what does he have planned?!?! lol is he going to sing to her! HA! that would be hilarious!
lol tanner is a little perv...but we all like it ! lol

Anonymous said...

ok, there had better be another post this week. I am dying to know what he has planned!!!!

Anonymous said...

me eight!!!

Carolyn

The Middle Child said...

My birthday was Nov 26th too... hehe.

Great post, I can't wait to see what he has in store for her!

Mehreen said...

Oh, he's totally going to announce it to all of Wal-mart and bring a cake his mom made. Crazy will go crazy and Sara will get embarassed but love him for it! I wish someone would go all out for my birthday!

Vikki said...

Me Eleven!! Tanner is a perv, but he's a lovable perv. That makes it okay :^ )

Sal said...

Ok me Twelve!!!!

I agree with Vikki. He is a perv but a lovable perv, hehehehe!