Friday, April 11, 2008

They Seem So Innocent

Sara called me up before I went to work yesterday and asked if I was going to be stopping by her place after I was finished that night. Before giving me a chance to tell her I was planning on it, she rushed on to say that she wanted to have a BBQ that night, but she wanted to wait for me. "I didn't get to thank you properly for helping me move in," she stated. "If it wasn't for you, your brother, Luke and Claire don't think I would have anything done here."

"What do you mean you didn't thank me properly?" I grinned as I thought about her first night at the new place and the hours we spent making out in her room. It didn't seem like a lot but with Sara, it was everything.

"That wasn't a 'thank you' Tanner," she chuckled.

"You mean, that was just because?"

"Well..." she hesitated. "Yeah."

I told her I was kidding. "The BBQ sounds great baby but you don't have to cook for me."

"I know, and I don't feel that I have too. I want too Tanner, you've been really great to me and I..." She took a deep breath and sighed. "I enjoy being with you."

"I enjoy being with you too Sara." I heard a little sound, like she wanted to believe it, but didn't. "I'm looking forward to tonight."

We talked for a few more minutes before I had to leave for work. To tell you the truth, I would've rather to home and talk to her. I seriously hate going into work. It's the same shit every single day. There are times when I want to lock myself in the office and slam my head off the desk. Those kids are going to drive me fucking insane. I'm tired of the whining and the bitching and let's not forget, the name calling and teasing. Some days it seems like no one likes anyone else and then next day, they are all planning to party together.

I've started to look around for something else. I've even considered going to talk to Judy about getting my old job back.

But for now, I go into work and pray for the time to fly by.

"Here are your reports Tanner." Kay dropped the folded papers onto the desk and disappeared behind me. "I'm finished up front," she told me as she plopped down into the other chair and rolled towards me. "I even remembered to turn off the coffee pot this time."

"Good," was all I said as I started to flip through the reports she brought me.

I was in the middle of writing down the sales when Kay leaned in over my hand. "Is it hard?" She asked, her hand slipping into my thigh. "It looks complicated."

"Hey!" I jumped out of my chair and away from her. "What the hell do you think you are doing?" I yelled as my chair slammed off the wall and rolled back.

Kay stared up at me for a moment before she laughed and got to her feet. "I don't know what's gotten into you Tanner, I was just asking about the paperwork."

"I think it's time you went home." I motioned towards the open door. "Good night Kay."

Instead of moving towards the door, Kay came towards me until I was backed against the wall and she was almost touching me. "Carmen could use some help, don't you think?"

The second she left the office, I slammed the door behind her. She threw a look over her shoulder and laughed. Carmen, who had been scrubbing the grill, glanced at me and then Kay as she said something to her. When Kay stopped talking, Carmen rolled her eyes and then turned back to the grill.

I was fucking pissed off. I kept making mistakes in the paperwork as I ran the incident over in the head more times than I could count. Every time I thought about it, I became more and more upset. By the time Carmen came knocking on the door to let me know that she was done and wanted to leave for the night, I was so close to calling Beverly to tell her that she could take the job and shove it because I didn't need jail bait trying to make a move on me.

"Tanner!" Carmen snapped.

"What?"

She gave me a funny look. "I asked if you were going to lock up after me."

"Oh." I nodded and rose from my chair to follow her to the door. "Have a good night Carmen," I said as she opened the door. "I'll see you tomorrow."

She went to take a step but stopped at the last second and turned towards me. She stared at me for so long, this concerned look on her face, I was actually starting to become nervous. "What's wrong Carmen?"

"I -," she stopped, frowned and shook her head. "It's nothing, forget it."

"Come on," I crossed my arms over my chest and stared down at her. "Tell me what's wrong."

"Well," she played with her fingers nervously. "If I tell you, I'll get my ass kicked."

"What?" My arms fell to my sides as imagines of Sara's beaten and bruised body flashed through my mind. "Is someone hurting you Carmen?" My eyes scanned her face, neck and arms looking for some sign of abuse. "I can help you if you let me."

"No," she shook her head. "I'm not being abused, I didn't mean that. I meant that I know something that some people don't want you to know. If they find out that I told you, they'll want to kick my ass."

As much as I wanted to know, I didn't want her to get hurt. She was a good kid and she worked hard. "Maybe you -"

"But you deserve to know," she cut me off. "You're a nice guy Tanner, from what I can tell, I don't want something to happen that could ruin things with your girlfriend - she seems nice."

"Ruin things with Sara?" I was lost. "What are you talking about?"

"Cindy and Kay!" Carmen exclaimed frantically. "They are evil!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I could tell they were going to be trouble! Hopefully Sara is secure enough with herself and with Tanner that she'll see through any bullshit Cindy and Kay might try to throw their way. Thanks for the new post over here! Hope you're feeling better!

Carolyn

Mehreen said...

Evil could mean they could start rumors about Tanner being inappropriate at work and those repercussions go beyond Sara. I dunno how hoochies like that can walk around with no soul.

kmorales4 said...

Those bitches!

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love the high school drama when you are years beyond it...Hope you could sense the sarcasm there. Wonder what those kids have planned for Tanner...

(PS-I have a new post)

mum said...

Dang, I just got caught up. Good blog. I can't even imagine what Kay and Cindy have planned. From the previous entry, I thought something was going to happen because she was questioning about Billy, now it's going a different direction.

Looking forward to the next post! mum