Friday, February 29, 2008

Headaches

A half hour before we were about to close last night Kay, one of the kids that worked up front came back and poked her head into the office, "There's someone up front looking for you." A quick look at the security TV didn't show anyone but staff. "They've already got their food and are seated."

"Ok," I nodded. "I'll be right out."

Once Kay left the office, I turned to stare at the paperwork in from of me. I wasn't feeling it. To tell you the truth, I wasn't even feeling the job anymore. While it was a job in management in the food industry, which is what I wanted, it wasn't exactly my dream job - I wanted to quit so badly. I was even tempted to go back to working nights with Sara and Billy until something I really wanted came up.

But I had made a commitment to the restaurant and Beverly, one I didn't want to break unless I had something else in my chosen field.

Finishing up the remainder of the pre close paperwork that I had in front of me, I pushed away from the desk and walked out of the office, closing the door behind me.

"Tanner!" One of the boys who worked the kitchen came sliding to a stop beside me. "Hey so it's dead and there's three of us and I have this killer date, I'm talking hot - she wears these shirts that -"

"Whoa," I held up my hands. "I don't need to hear about her - just tell me what you want."

"Can I go? Now?"

I glanced around the kitchen, they weren't were they should be with clean up and the other two working - one was supposed to be off already and the other wasn't the fast of a worker. "Carmen, what are you still doing here?"

"Pete asked me to close for him," she said simply.

"Haven't you been here since 1? And aren't all shift changes supposed to go through management?" I looked around the room, neither one of them would even look me in the eye. Sighing, I just shook my head, "Listen I really don't care who closes but this kitchen isn't in the shape it should be at this hour and the three of you know it." Crossing to the table where the task book sat opened, I picked it up and skimmed through the list. "Guys you haven't even completed anything on this list - what have you been doing all night?"

Three of them looked at each other and then stared at the floor.

"Ok," I tossed the book on the table. "Here's the deal guys - half of this list - in twenty minutes or less and Pete can go." I started to walk away when I stopped, "I will be checking so don't think you can just do a rush job and get away with it."

I make it do the door and I looked back towards them. "Clock is ticking guys."

Every single night it was the same thing, some one tried to leave early, they didn't finish what they were supposed too and it always came back on my shoulders. I didn't care that they were just kids, they were there to do a job and I'll be damned if I get reamed out one more time for their lack of work ethic.

Cool air hit me as I walked from the back to the front. Unfortunately the work ethic didn't change. The girls that worked up front were all gathered around one till talking about their plans for the night and the rest of the weekend.

"That's interesting ladies," I leaned in over Kay's shoulder and smiled at their surprised expressions. "You wanna know what my plan is for the weekend?"

"Tanner," Cindy, the skankiest of all my evening crew cracked her gum as she grinned at me. "There's a party tonight, you should come with."

"There won't be any partying for any of you if you don't finish your closing duties."

Stepping closer to me, Cindy reached out her hand as she pouted, "Oh come on Tanner, you look like you could use a good time."

I took a step back, avoiding her hand. "I could use a crew that did what they were supposed to do so I could actually get out of here on time every night."

A soft chuckling came from behind me, I turned to see Sara leaning over the counter with a smile on her face. "Wow you are as grumpy as you are hot tonight."

"Wh-wh-" I stared at her in disbelief, she was supposed to be working.

"We don't work for another hour or so, we thought we'd grab a bite to eat and -" she stopped short and frowned as she looked past me.

I turned to see the girls watching us curiously. "Ladies I'm sure you have something to do, I suggest you do it." With that, I made my way around the counter to Sara. "I have a minute to sit, if you aren't in a hurry to go."

"Are you kidding?" Sara smiled up at me. "Why did you think I came here? For the food?"

I nodded. She laughed.

"No, I came to see you - I missed you."

"Missed me, huh?" Wrapping my arm around her waist, I told her I missed her too. "I needed to see you tonight -"

"Yeah," she glanced over her shoulder. "I heard."

"Don't be jealous," I tugged her close as we walked down to the table where Billy was sitting.

"Jealous? Me?" Sara laughed. "Of those kids?" Shaking her head, she slid into the booth and grabbed her milkshake. Bringing the straw to her mouth, she took a sip and then told me she didn't think I was that interested in being a cradle robber. "I'm sure you aren't that hard up for a 'good time'."

I started to tell her the only 'good time' I was interested in involved her when I noticed the newspaper opened to the classified section - with a moving company circled. "Who's moving?" I felt a nothing but pure panic as Sara looked me straight in the eye and said, "Me."

6 comments:

Vikki said...

Hopefully she means she is moving into an apartment.

ctiger said...

yeah i agree with vikki. notice she didn't say mom and me just me. hope they get things going in the right direction without distractions.

chris

Anonymous said...

I'm taking that to mean that she isn't going to be moving with her Mom, or else she wouldn't have said it in a way that surprised him. He knew her Mom and her were moving, the only topic open for discussion was if she was going with her Mom or not. And from this post...I say it's an or not.

Carmel Beauty said...

WHAAAAAAATTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I find Tanner and Saras realtionship to be BORING. I feel they dont have chemistry the way Amber and Reed did or Anna and Jordan or even Anna and Josh.

Tanner and Sara just isnt interesting to me.

Anonymous said...

I agree with anon I love your blogs so this is nothing against them but Sarah and Tanner just don't have that chemistry I even Like Devon and Janie relationship better